O’Brien & Zehnder - New Name, New Look, Same Great FirmRead more »

What should I do if I'm injured in a boating accident?

What Should I Do If I'm Injured In A Boating Accident?

If you have been injured in a boating accident, the accident has to be reported. You may file a lawsuit and have the right to receive compensation for the pain and suffering, medical expenses, past and future lost wages, and even for punitive damages.

When an accident occurs, it should be immediately reported if:

  • The accident led to the death or disappearance of a person;
  • The accident resulted in injuries requiring medical assistance beyond first aid;
  • The property damage exceeds $500.

Boat owners should file a written report to the California Department of Boating and Waterways within 48 hours following an accident that resulted in injury or death and within ten days if the accident resulted only in property damage. Boat owners or operators should also provide their names, addresses, and vessel registration numbers to the other involved parties.

If you or a loved one were badly injured in a boating accident in Sacramento, Elk Grove, or anywhere in the State of California, for quality legal representation, please contact our personal injury attorneys of the O'Brien & Zehnder Law Firm by calling 1-800-722-4176 or send us an email and someone from our office will be in touch with you shortly.

DISCLAIMER:  This article is not a substitute for legal advice and in no way constitutes legal advice or gives rise to an attorney-client relationship. Adequate counsel is fact-dependent and requires independent analysis and inquiry specific to your situation and circumstances. This article is simply meant as a guide to explain in general and brief terms certain issues and serves to provide general information. Contact O'Brien & Zehnder Law Firm at 916-714-8200 if you require legal help or wish to seek legal advice for your specific legal issue(s).