What type of compensation can I receive from a personal injury lawsuit in California?

In a personal injury case, the injured person (plaintiff) receives money to cover the damages from the party considered legally liable for the accident (defendant or their insurer).

When a personal injury lawsuit is filed and has a positive outcome, victims are entitled to receiving:

Economic damages can include:

Non-economic damages can include:

If the injuries were caused by intentional misconduct or were the result of a callous and conscious disregard of the rights and safety of others, the victim might also be entitled to punitive damages, which are awarded to punish, deter future conduct, or make an example out of the defendant.

For quality legal representation, please contact our personal injury attorneys at the Elk Grove-based O'Brien & Zehnder Law Firm by phone or send us an email, and someone from our office will be in touch with you shortly.

DISCLAIMER: This article is not a substitute for legal advice and in no way constitutes legal advice or gives rise to an attorney-client relationship. Adequate counsel is fact-dependent and requires independent analysis and inquiry specific to your situation and circumstances. This article is meant as a guide to explain in general and brief terms certain issues and serves to provide general information. Contact O'Brien & Zehnder Law Firm at 916-714-8200 if you require legal help or wish to seek legal advice for your specific legal issue(s).