O’Brien & Zehnder - New Name, New Look, Same Great FirmRead more »

How can I keep children safe at home and avoid accidents?

How Can I Keep Children Safe

Accidents are a significant cause of injury and even death in children, and home is the place where accidents are most probable to occur. Be aware of the dangers in the home to avoid accidents.

After buying a toy, make sure you show your child how to play safely with it. Other preventive steps include:

  • teach your children how to put toys away
  • keep toys clean
  • take some time to check the toys to make sure that they aren't broken
  • store outdoor toys somewhere where they are not exposed to rain or snow
  • throw away or repair broken toys
  • check the toys carefully for small parts and follow the manufacturer's age recommendations
  • always make sure a toy isn't too loud for your child
  • a parent or other responsible adult should supervise the child’s play whenever possible

The noise of some musical toys or squeaky toys can be very loud and can damage a child’s sensitive hearing. Bicycles, scooters, and skateboards should always be used with a helmet and pads to prevent injuries. Do not allow younger kids to play with their older siblings' toys. Make sure that toys with small parts are always out of an infant's reach.

For quality legal representation, please contact our personal injury attorneys at the Elk Grove-based O'Brien & Zehnder Law Firm by calling 1-800-722-4176 or send us an email and someone from our office will be in touch with you shortly.

DISCLAIMER:  This article is not a substitute for legal advice and in no way constitutes legal advice or gives rise to an attorney-client relationship. Adequate counsel is fact-dependent and requires independent analysis and inquiry specific to your situation and circumstances. This article is simply meant as a guide to explain in general and brief terms certain issues and serves to provide general information. Contact O'Brien & Zehnder Law Firm at 916-714-8200 if you require legal help or wish to seek legal advice for your specific legal issue(s).