While most car accidents involve only property damage, it often happens that someone gets injured or even dies, either instantly, or suffers severe physical damage that eventually leads to death, and there’s always someone who’s liable. Nationwide, more than 32,000 people die every year in car accidents. About 3000 of those deaths happen in California.
Losing someone in a car accident can put the living family in very unfortunate circumstances, from emotional and psychological pain to financial burdens including not only the funeral costs but also the possible loss of financial support. As such, receiving the best possible compensation is critical. Here, at O'Brien & Zehnder Law Firm, we specialize in personal injury and wrongful death law, and if you’ve lost one of your loved ones in a tragic car accident and someone else is at fault, we can file a wrongful death claim on your behalf and recover just compensation for your loss.
Alcohol as the Leading Cause of Fatal Car Crashes
Driving under the influence of alcohol is the most common cause of car accidents that result in at least one death. As of 2005, statistics show that 39% of all fatal car accidents happen because of drunk driving. Other possible causes include:
- Bad weather. Unfortunately, this is one of those factors that we cannot change or influence directly, however, we can minimize the risks or even prevent a tragedy by being aware of the unfavorable conditions and taking special precautions.
- Fatigue is another leading cause of fatal accidents. People often push themselves over the limit because they fail to properly estimate the risks and do not realize the dangers of the situation.
- Driver distraction. This car accident cause may come in many forms, from daydreaming to getting distracted by an outside person or event, to cell phone use. In recent years, fatal car accidents caused by cell phone use while driving has seen an alarming increase.
- High speed. Many drivers ignore the speed limit, which dramatically increases the risk of a car accident. Around 1 in 3 deaths are speed related.
- Not following traffic rules: running red lights, stop lights, wrong-way driving, wrong turns.
How Can a Personal Injury Law Firm Help?
While no compensation can ease the pain of losing a family member, here, at O'Brien & Zehnder Law Firm, we help the families of those who lost their lives in a car accident by providing advice and legal representation required when dealing with insurance companies, as well as making sure they regain their balance needed to carry on with their lives.
If a member of your family has been a victim in such a tragic accident, do not hesitate to contact one of our experienced lawyers located in Sacramento and Elk Grove, and schedule a free initial consultation where we can discuss your case details.