The constructions industry has always posed risks for workers and not only. Construction site accidents happen more frequently than ever before. Given the increasing demand for new buildings, facilities, and roads, their incidence is unlikely to decrease.
It is estimated that approximately 21% of work-related fatalities in the private sector occur in the construction field. Nonetheless, construction accidents don’t only cause victims amongst workers, but also among pedestrians.
These accidents can occur in different ways. Most commonly, they happen due to improper marking that causes confusion among pedestrians, allowing them to get in or near the construction area, thereby exposing themselves to different risks. Some of the most common injuries pedestrians can sustain in construction areas are:
Several measures can be taken to avoid these incidents. It is essential to make sure that pedestrians are protected at all times while walking near roads in construction and construction sites. This result can only be achieved by following the safety regulations that require:
- Using protective barriers
- Marking the area so that vehicles and pedestrians are kept apart
- Providing the necessary crossing points
- Preventing pedestrians from crossing dangerous areas
- Equipping construction vehicles with the proper safeguards to minimize the impact in case of an accident
- Separating pedestrians from vehicles in areas where the traffic is intense
If you were hit by a vehicle or injured in any other way in an area that was in construction, be sure to contact a trusted attorney from O'Brien & Zehnder Law Firm. We can help you figure out if you have a case and recover the financial compensation you deserve.